Thursday, July 24, 2014

This is pretty corny

After heading out, our first big stop was about five hours into the trip.

The Corn Palace.  It was one of the first "must see" attractions that showed up on my trip planning maps and apps.  Never mind my father rolling his eyes claiming it is just "the world's largest bird feeder".  I was determined to check it out.  

It was under construction for the ENTIRE YEAR.  Are you kidding me, Corn Palace?  This was my once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity to be driving aimlessly through South Dakota and look at corn cob artwork.  It doesn't happen every day... and it shouldn't, because it's ridiculous. 


They gave the building the tagline "Remember When 2014".  I assume that means... remember when we drove all the way to Mitchell, SD and the Corn Palace was a construction disaster?  I do!

It was actually kind of neat to see those large bulbs (christmas ornaments?) down on the ground to see how completely humungous they are! 


I did appreciate the humor of the googly eyes on one of them...



But I was still disappointed.  However, if you are in the area in 2015 or after, their plans for the building look fantastic, so check it out!

I truly had no idea what the Corn Palace was before we arrived.  Corn royalty?  

It is murals made from corn cobs.  I had expected murals made from kernels, so I was actually thinking..."that looks easier to create then what I was expecting".


There are murals surrounding the palace (again, after their reconstruction, it will probably look phenomenal...)



The block surrounding the palace is a cute little touristy block of Black Hills shops and food.  Very wild, wild west.


And inside the palace it's tourist central!  It reminded me of the Iowa State Fair (you haven't been to a fair unless you've been to the Iowa State Fair).  It was a giant store and they sold everything corn related, plus a video on the history of the palace and making the murals.



Even though it was nothing like I thought it would be, I enjoyed the stop and now I can say that I, too, have been to the World's Only (shocking) Corn Palace.



Ready to hit the road again!

No comments:

Post a Comment