Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Take a Hike

After work one afternoon I picked my friend up from her job and we set out on a hike.  We had bigger plans to hit up Rattlesnake Ridge trail but with traffic and the sun setting earlier now (and my fear of hiking in the dark, because you know...bears), we decided to go somewhere a little closer for a quick hike in the wilderness.  I'll be honest, I have no idea what trail we were on.  I think it was on Cougar Mountain.  That's about as specific I can get.  Basically, if you just google "trailheads" it will give you a huge list of trailheads that are near you and you can just go from there.  I am assuming there's some kind of hiking app that is helpful as well (I say that because it's possible my friend was using one when we were slightly turned around in the wild), but I'm not that much of a hiking expert yet.  

But this one had a waterfall, I was told.  I'm a sucker for waterfalls because I only see them in pictures.  

It didn't take long until we got to it.  It was very pretty...but not all that thrilling.  It hasn't rained much (what?) in the past few months and I guess it's a much more impressive fall in the winter season when it's raining all the time.  So we'll have to come back I guess.


But still.  That's really pretty, right?



We were hiking at sunset, so we only ran into one other guy and his dog out enjoying the beautiful evening.




It was lovely.  I love that I can catch up with my friends during a hike the same as I could over dinner.  I mean, we had dinner after this, too.  I don't miss out on opportunities to go out to eat.  But it's fun to do things with people, too.  Build memories, ya know?  Also I hadn't worked out all week so it was good to get moving.


We did find our way back out after a few wrong turns, but as long as it was still light out I'm totally cool with getting a little lost.  I will not be investing in headlamps for camping or after dark hiking adventures.  No thank you.

Afterwards, we stopped by Big Chickie, this delicious little chicken place in an old gas station building and had a fantastic chicken dinner (I had the quarter white chicken with cheesy potatoes and cole slaw).  It was awesome.  Seattle has the best local eateries.

So, Rattlesnake Ridge is still on the hiking to-do list.

No comments:

Post a Comment