Now that I'm one week into school and have the year off and running, I can go back and keep everyone updated on my really amazing summer....
...day 5 of my road trip and we finally cruised into San Fransisco in the early afternoon. We drove over the bridge and then stopped at the Golden Gate tourist center. It was unbelievably windy, but we walked around and enjoyed the salty sea air.
I opted AGAINST riding a bike across the bridge, and to be honest, I felt good enough walking half way across and back and buying the t-shirt. (I didn't really get a t-shirt, though)
So here's when we had my most favorite part of the entire trip.... just a little...mistake.
We were meeting with a friend who works for a very famous author, and we were going to drop our things off at the friend's apartment and then all go to dinner. However, she was still at work, and we weren't sure when we would get into town. After our Golden Gate wandering, we put her address into the phone to navigate there and we were on our way.
We pulled up to the building, with huge shrubs and a big black gate at the entrance. We got front row parking, and she told us to take everything out of our car because there had been a few break ins lately. So we unpacked our entire road trip lives on the street. I walked up to the gate to have her buzz us in, but the gate didn't give me an option to find her name. It just said "press 002 for residence". I wasn't sure if we were in the right place, so I was yelling back at the car to check. Then a man walked around the corner and went to get in his car. He looked back and asked who I was looking for. I told him, and he just smiled and said "She doesn't go in that entrance, she goes in around the corner." So we thanked him for guiding us the right direction and hobbled down the street with all our things. The entrance around the corner had a different address on it, so we were trying to figure it out when a lady walking her dog asked us if we were there to meet our friend. We told her yes, and she hurried to let us in (a homeless man was following us by this time) and find her. We took all our things and followed her through the door into a small entry way.
But she seemed to think that our friend wasn't there. She checked with someone in the front office, and they thought she had just left. We were super confused because we were supposed to meet her at her apartment and drop her things off.
At this point I'm just looking around... there's glass doors next to me with some stairs and a bunch of glass cases beyond. There's a huge book poster on the wall. I'm beginning to realize that we showed up at her work and not her apartment.
As I begin to explain this in the small entrance, my friend realized we totally messed up, so we apologized and left quickly.
But, the thing was.... we weren't just at the offices of this famous author... WE HAD SHOWED UP AT HER HOUSE! The head of security was the man who helped us on the street, and we were now standing in this author's house with all of our road trip belongings (this included pillows) trying to find our friend.
I laughed so hard and we were so embarrassed, but everyone was really nice about it. I was told that if I had pressed the "002" that the police probably would have been called....whoops!!
Once we figured out where we were going, we parked and unpacked and went to a small bar and grill on the water for some mimosa pints.
Then my new San Fran friends took us to the Marriott downtown for drinks with a fantastic view of the city, followed by an Uber ride and wine at a speakeasy that was in the basement of some office buildings and had typewriters everywhere. It was SUCH a fun place!
And that was our first 12 hours in San Fransisco.



No comments:
Post a Comment