My friends invited me to join them on a day hike up to Poo Poo Point. Yes, that is it's real name. I just looked it up, and apparently it got it's name from the noise from trains nearby. The Washington Trails Association tells me it is a 3.6 mile hike roundtrip, but that is not true. It is about 3.6 miles one way...but apparently there are a few ways you can get up there. One way would be to take the longer, less steep, 7ish mile round trip way. The other would be to take the 4ish mile roundtrip hike up which is shorter, but much steeper. I also think their signs had incorrect milage on them, but what do I know, it was my first hike ever.
I learned that I should invest in some hiking boots (omg did I just say that) and one of those tiny dorky backpacks to carry my water and...camera. I did remember my bug repellent and hat, so I was feeling very prepared until about one mile in. I should mention that I could not find my water bottles (did I move those? Did I sell them?) so I only grabbed one of those flavored carbonated ICE waters. I've never felt cooler.
My friends had never done this hike (but they do hike, unlike me) and we all thought it would be a bit easier. On the bright side, now I know I can climb mountains. Kind of.
The moss here is insane. Turns out, we did not take the steep route. My booty and calves would say otherwise.
Poo Poo Point was worth the hike and heavy breathing. There was a lot of huffing and puffing on my end. The gym and I need some quality time together.
My favorite part about getting to the top (ish, I don't know that it is the actual "peak"), was the paragliders. They take off right there and then glide around on top of Issaquah! Suddenly I want to paraglide.
If you look to the large building/area to the middle left of this picture, that's the high school where we parked and started our hike.
So...I couldn't put the camera down. I probably have 50+ pictures from this one hike.
When's the next one??
No comments:
Post a Comment