Sunday, August 24, 2014

Washington History

So this year I have to teach Washington history.  I repeat, I have to teach Washington history.

That's the problem with moving to different states and teaching.  You have to teach all their histories.  So, I've studied Iowa history, Nebraska history, Kansas history, and now Washington history.  And let me tell you, they are all shockingly similar give or take a few locations or people.

Here's a list of things I know about the history of Washington:

1. It is a state.  It became a state awhile ago.
2. The capital is Olympia.  I hear that's about two hours away from here.
3. It is the Evergreen State (is that historical?)

Some of those aren't even history, they are just facts.  I have a lot of work to do.  In my efforts to inform myself, I went to visit the Washington State Historical Museum in Tacoma.  Tacoma looks close-ish on the map, and then after I had been in the car for a good 20-30 minutes, I got on another interstate and had to go 20 more miles.  So it was a drive.  I was not on time to meet people.  That's another part of living here that I still need to figure out:  timing.

But I got there, and that's the important part.  Well, I got there and realized I forgot my camera.  Sad day.  All I had was my phone and I strongly dislike pictures from my phone (first world problem, I know).  So when you see these pictures, you can imagine me reluctantly pulling out my phone and rolling my eyes at myself.


Since I've moved here, every day has been gorgeous.  People here have even had the nerve to complain about how beautiful it is.  It is fantastic.  I'm trying to soak it all up because I keep hearing about how dreadfully gloomy it will be come winter.  But for now, this place is a dream world.  


I really enjoyed wandering through the museum.  The main floor was packed with historical greatness and the second floor was aimed at children with a cute little character that took them through rooms and explained the history.  I may have enjoyed that part a little too much.  

But my favorite part was the traveling exhibit that was there- Seeds of Victory: Posters of the Great War.  Earlier this year I visited the World War I Museum in Kansas City, which was really cool and I learned a ton because...no one really talks about World War I.  

This display was all the poster propaganda that was part of the war...including the most famous (I love seeing this stuff in person!)...


 ...and my personal favorite..."Gee!!  I wish I were a man!"


Be a man, would you?  I may have laughed out loud when I came to this poster.  All of the others were pretty standard and historically fascinating, but that one made me giggle.
  
Skyjack: The Hunt for D. B. CooperI spent a good chunk of time in the gift shop as well, scoping out the children's books about things like salmon and the Native American tribes and otters and other Washington things.  Last year they had a display on one of my favorite American unsolved mysteries: D.B. Cooper.  A year or two ago I had gone to the bookstore in search of books about him and found nothing in KC (shocking!), but since the plane had landed in Seattle they had done an entire exhibit about him a year ago and I missed it!!  They were still selling that merchandise at discount, so of course I picked up a book.  

When we went to leave the museum, Tacoma was getting ready for a big parade and we were trapped in the parking lot.  It took a bit of mapping and figuring out how to get out since so many streets were closed.  I headed further south to a friend's house for dinner.  It's so nice to be here and know a few people to help me get acquainted with the area.  





No comments:

Post a Comment